Skilled Trades Career Exploring is open to young men and women ages 14 (and completed the 8th grade) to 21 years old with an interest in learning more about careers in the fields of Skilled Trades.
Skilled Trades Exploring is a hands-on program that exposes participants to many career opportunities.
The most popular Skilled Trades Exploring careers include:
- Skin care specialists
- Barber and Hairstylist
- Home health aides
- Animal care and service workers
- Landscape Architect
- Automotive service and body repair technicians
- Construction trades
- Equipment Operator
- Pipe layers, plumbers and pipefitters
- Cooks and food preparation workers
- Many others
You get to experience firsthand what it’s like to develop a production schedule for a new car release, look at the schematics of a new building, pick the right construction material based on climate and age of the building, to care for others who cannot take care of themselves
You will develop:
- work experiences to begin building your resume’
- important contacts with hiring managers
- important leadership skills
- an understanding of the importance of teamwork in a professional setting
You will have an opportunity to participate in hands-on projects to give you a real feel for whether this career is the right one for you.
You will have an opportunity to network with professionals who work in these careers every day – they are using the latest technology, they are aware of emerging trends, they know what it takes to get into college for their specific career.
You will learn about the educational requirements for a career in Skilled Trades and will receive tangible advice on steps you could take now to prepare and position yourself for a successful career in the field of Skilled Trades
Skilled Trades Career Exploring will provide you with the following benefits:
- Improved self-confidence
- Leadership experience and social network development
- Fun and Exciting “hands-on” career experiences
- Community service opportunities
- College & Career Readiness preparation
When do meetings take place?
Skilled Trades Career Exploring posts typically meet on a monthly basis during the school year. Most programs parallel the high school calendar and begin in the fall. There are a number of programs that start at other times during the year to meet the needs of the host organization and participants. Programs are flexible enough to fit in with other activities.
The Skilled Trades Career Exploring program is very affordable with participation fees from $35 per year and registration assistance is available. Special activities, events and conferences may cost more and would be determined by the local Exploring post.
How can I join?
Participation is easy:
- Determine the career or careers in which you are interested.
- Click HERE to request information about local Career Exploring Posts in those career fields.
- The local post Advisor will then be in touch with you regarding upcoming meetings
- Attend a meeting or activity
- Fill out the Youth Participation Form and pay the Participation Fee
Back to the Explorer post career fields.
See the Explorer post directory.